01 February 2012

three lemons


Three lemons is how it all began.

 A short while ago I had made oven-baked fish for dinner. The guests were about to arrive and as I was setting the table, it occurred to me that I had no lemons to serve with my meal. So I rushed down to the local greengrocer's, picked up three lemons and when it came to paying he just smiled at me and said “if this is all you're having I can't possibly charge you for your purchase. Have a good evening!”
I made a mental note to go back to him soon for a more substantial fruit and veg shopping excursion. Ever since, he has added a cucumber or two after weighing the bag, rounded down the final price, and given me bits and pieces as tasters whenever I went.

Today was one of those days where a fruit & veg shop was once again very overdue. I popped down to the greengrocer's on my way home from work, picked up potatoes, cucumbers, carrots, mint leaves, avocado, celery, fennel, beetroot, kiwi, bananas, ginger and an interesting looking root vegetable I had never seen or tasted before. As I dug around my bag to locate my wallet, he just smiled and said, “this time it's on me”.

I insisted.
So did he.
He won. 

As a result, my fridge is full and happy. As is my wallet.

At this rate, I'll have to become creative and think of some way of ensuring that the good-hearted man down the road does not go bankrupt; lest I'll end up having to cook for him – but with nowhere left to buy the ingredients from! 

1 comment: